Visitors view art displayed Wednesday during the “Scenes of the Schuylkill” artist reception
POTTSTOWN PA – The annual “Scenes of the Schuylkill” art show and sale, an exhibit featuring 96 original works that depict scenes reflecting the beauty and character of the Schuylkill River valley, opened Wednesday (Nov. 14, 2018) with an artist reception at the Montgomery County Community College West Campus gallery, 16 W. High St. The show is free and open to the public through Dec. 14 (Friday).
- This event has been added to The Post Publications calendar.
Now in its 15th year, the juried exhibit has provided a platform for regional artists’ drawings, paintings, and photographs of locales within the region through which the 135-mile Schuylkill River flows. All works were carefully selected from among 135 submissions by juror Ross L. Mitchell, former executive director of the Violette de Mazia Foundation of Philadelphia.
Most artwork in the exhibit is available for purchase. A percentage of the sale benefits the Schuylkill River Greenways. As a non-profit organization, its mission is to connect residents, visitors, and communities to the Schuylkill River and its accompanying trail by serving as a catalyst for civic engagement and economic development.
Mitchell selected three winning entries and four honorable mentions:
- James Green was awarded Best of Show for his colorful oil-on-linen piece, titled “Saw Mill.” That award came with a cash prize of $300.
- The second place award and $200 went to Michael Adams for his watercolor painting “Verdi.”
- Jean Plough took third and $100 with an acrylic painting on canvas called “View from Train.”
The four honorable mentions included two for photography and two for paintings:
- In the photography category, awards went to Samantha Story for her image “Flights in Black & White,” and to Lisa Foster for her photo titled “Olde Stone.”
- The other honorable mentions were awarded to Barbara Brown for her pastel painting, “Rollin’ on the River,” and to Betz Green for a piece called “Wissahickon Tree Trunk.”
Additionally, the Schuylkill River Greenways staff selected a Staff’s Choice award that went to Steven J. White’s oil painting It displays canoes along a boat launch called “Scott’s Run.” Honorable mentions and staff choice all received $50 prizes. All winners also received gift certificates to North Penn Art.
The college’s North Hall Gallery is open Mondays through Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. It will be closed during Thanksgiving weekend.
Photo from the Schuylkill River Greenways