HARLEYSVILLE PA – The first of 2017 household hazardous waste collections sponsored by Montgomery County is scheduled for April 22 (2017; Saturday) from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Indian Valley Middle School, 130 Maple Ave., the county announced in a press release. The series of six separate residential collection events, held outdoors rain or shine, are free and open to the public.
- One of the coming collections will be held in Royersford, it added.
During each collection, the county will receive toxic and flammable household chemicals for proper disposal. Acceptable items include gasoline, oil, kerosene, turpentine, paint thinner, oil paint, stains, varnish, pool chemicals, herbicides, pesticides, antifreeze, caustic cleaners and solvents, mercury, thermometers, flares, fire extinguishers, lead acid batteries, rechargeable batteries, fluorescent tube light bulbs, CFL bulbs, mini propane canisters, and electric oil filled heaters.
Disposal containers can be returned upon request.
Not accepted are electronics, appliances, asbestos, explosives, ammunition, medical waste, radioactive waste, smoke detectors, items containing Freon, or tires. The county also noted that:
- Latex or water-based paint is not hazardous and can be placed in the trash once it is dry. It recommends air-drying latex paint, or adding absorbent material like kitty litter to it until the paint solidifies;
- Alkaline household batteries are not hazardous and should be thrown in the trash;
- Prescription medications should be disposed of in secure drop boxes located in many area police stations. Find a list of them here; and
Mini propane canisters are accepted at collections. Full-sized propane tanks should be taken to appropriate locations, listed here.
Remaining household hazardous waste events for 2017 will be held:
- May 13 (Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) at Lockheed Martin, 230 Mall Blvd., King of Prussia PA 19406. Enter on Goddard Boulevard;
- May 20 (Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) at Temple University—Ambler Campus, 1431 E. Butler Pike, Ambler PA 19406;
- June 24 (Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) at Abington Junior High School, 2056 Susquehanna Rd., Abington PA 19001;
- Sept. 23 (Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) at Spring-Ford 9th Grade Center, 400 S. Lewis Rd., Royersford PA 19468; and
- Oct. 22 (Sunday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) at Lower Merion Transfer Station, 1300 N. Woodbine Ave., Penn Valley PA 19072.
For more information visit the county recycling website here, or call 610-278-3618.
Photo from Google Images