HARRISBURG PA – Thirteen locations in Pottstown, three in Lower Pottsgrove Township, and seven in Phoenixville will provide free breakfast, mid-day snacks, lunch or supper this summer – and at some places, a combination – to qualified and registered children age 18 and younger, the state Department of Education reported last Monday (June 11, 2012).
Local sites for the state’s Summer Food Service Program are among more than 2,000 participating in the program across Pennsylvania, the department said.
A free school lunch is the only full meal some children receive all day, so the end of the school year may put them at risk of hunger. The U.S. Department of Agriculture created the program to ensure children have access to nutritious meals during the summer break. Non-profit site sponsors provide the facility and free meals for local children and then apply for partial reimbursement from the USDA, based on the number of meals served.
Families interested in qualifying for the program should call the National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY for assistance information.
Pennsylvania administers the programs by approving sponsors, processing reimbursement claims and providing oversight. Last summer, more than 5 million meals and snacks were served to children from low-income families.
According to a state database, meal locations can be found:
- Annex Program, Franklin and Grace streets;
- Middle School Tutoring Program, Pottstown Middle School;
- Rupert Elementary School, South and Mt. Vernon streets;
- Chestnut Street Park, Chestnut and North Washington streets;
- Franklin Elementary, 970 N. Franklin St.;
- Learning Program, 920 Morris St.;
- Creative Health, 929 Willow St.;
- Pottstown High School, 750 N. Washington St.;
- Ricketts Community Center, 640 Beech St.;
- ACLAMO, 515 Walnut St.;
- Lincoln Elementary School, 461 N. York St.;
- YWCA TriCounty Area, 315 King St.; and
- Bright Hope Project, 467 W. King St.
In Lower Pottsgrove Township
- Mentoring Program Summer School at Fellowship Farm, Sanatoga Road, Pottstown;
- Rolling Hills Apartments, 2120 Buchert Rd. Sanatoga; and
- Coventry Christian School, 699 N. Pleasant View Rd., Sanatoga.
- Phoenixville Child Learning Center, 400 Franklin Commons;
- Stepping Stones, Franklin Commons;
- Reeves Park Summer Camp, Second Avenue and Main Street;
- Reservoir Summer Camp, Fillmore and Franklin Avenue;
- Morris Street Park, Morris Street and Lincoln Avenue;
- Phoenixville Child Learning Center, 310 Main St.; and
- Grimes AME Church, 338 Morris St.
Photo from Google Images